Friday, 11 July 2014

Heavy drinking and Sponsorship.

Weirdly enough, I don't mean me when I say 'heavy drinking'. Unfortunately I mean Quinsey, our beloved 1.4L Skoda Fabia Estate. Who up until recently, was doing circa 45 miles to the gallon. It's now doing a measly 19 miles per gallon and it's really starting to worry us because we don't know why. It cost us £52.32 to drive 194 miles. That's bloody outrageous! Now you know what I mean by 'heavy drinking'...

We have a huge roof rack, loads of gear and 4 adult blokes in the car, so I'm not expecting hybrid economy. But 19mpg is what a 5.4L super-charged Ford Mustang does. Quinsey doesn't quite scale up to that sorta muscle. So anyway, took it to a couple of local garages in London today and they don't really know what's wrong with it either. Checked the spark plugs, coil springs, underbelly of the car: no leaks, or signs of fuel fatigue. Top bloke who ran the garage saw all the stickers and that jazz and gave me bottles of additives to help clean the fuel injectors, so hoping that helps..

Okay, so putting my worries aside, I've been pretty damn successful recently with regards to sponsorship for this Rally. Yesterday, I went down to my old school (Queen Elizabeth Grammar School, Barnet) for a cheeky fundraiser. The car got alot of interest from alot of the teachers and kids there, a fair few signatures and a fair bit of money from it all too; all going to Cool Earth and WaterAid. Weird being back at my old school after 5 years though; a very nostalgic day for me.
#backtoschool
Old maths teacher getting some ink on the car doing his bit for charity!

Todays been even more successful for me by secured a huge sponsorship deal; we got AWESOME satellite equipment from Inmarsat plc, a huge telecommunications company based in the heart of London. They sorted us out with an awesome satellite phone which gives us confidence in our safety, as we'll have network coverage for 99% of the world, and a BGAN terminal which allows us internet access in the middles of nowhere. 
..Its safe to say Inmarsat plc's HQ's HUGE
Stickers are slightly being delayed, but will update you all with an awesome picture of our car once its covered.

For now though... you can have this one ;) 

Mongol Rally stickers on... Cool Earth stickers on.. Keep posted for the rest

That's all for now. Won't blog for another couple of days cos I'm away in Colchester this weekend for a cheeky festival, and also a chance to test out the new equipment and my new GoPro Hero 3+ (Black Edition)... YEEHHH BUDDY
My baby for the next few months #GoPro

Oh yeh, one last thing. The Adventurists (the geezers who are helping us organising this whole thing) have got together another mini-blog with a TRACKING MAP. So anything I post on there, you'll also be able to see exactly where we are aswell. Check it out here: http://tracking.theadventurists.com/

Thats enough for now.

Mongol Rally love,

Prasana 





No comments:

Post a Comment